Sunday 19 August 2018

Melbourne International Film Festival (5) - Simon Killen wraps up

Leaving a pasta sauce on for the kids, and heading out now to my final MIFF film for 2018, and the final film curated, for me and for you, by Michelle Carey.

Christ on a bike we have been lucky to have her for so long. Whether getting excited about her hauls from Cannes, or wide-eyed enthusiasm for an arcane retrospective strand, it's all grist for her mill. 

So many things that operate quietly in the background - Critic's Campus for example - just extend interest in, and passion for cinema in the long term. 

I doubt I have ever selected better from the vast behemoth that is MIFF than this year. 

And the second last screening, Wiseman's EX LIBRIS, was particularly perfect - to sit in a packed Forum with an audience engaged from minute 1 to minute 217 was pure, unfettered joy. Empathetic, engaging and intelligent with a sly sense of humour - just like our outgoing artistic director. 
God, I have a tear in my eye.

Thanks a million MC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.